Chapter P1 - The Earth in The Universe
- Download P1 checklist
- Bitesize P1 revision page
- Revision ppt for the Earth in the Universe
- Click here and here to download revision cards (from funnyscience.co.uk).
- StudyStack flash card activity
- Practice Long Answer Questions (for P1 and P2)
- examples of LOR questions and answers from OCR
Big Bang Theory
- Two great videos of the Big Bang Theory Song on YouTube: subtitled with lyrics or illustrated with drawings
- This interactive periodic table shows you the 'fingerprint' spectrum for each element. Wherever we look in space, we can't find any different elements from those we know here on Earth. The redshift in these patterns tells us how fast a galaxy is moving away from us.
The Rock Cycle
- Rock Cycle Animation - animation of the rock cycle from the Geological Society
- For an animation of the movement of the tectonic plates try: plate boundary animation
- For an animation of magnetic reversals shown in and seafloor spreading try: Magnetic Reversal Stripes, or try this interactive animation
- Want to know more about reversals of the Earth's magnetic field? Click here to find out.
- Use this PhET simulation to control the movement of the Earth's plates
- Watch this animation to see how P waves and S waves provide evidence of the Earth's structure.
- Seismic Monitor - see where there have been earthquakes recently.
Wave Features and behaviour
- Wave features exercise
- Ripple Tank simulation (from Falstad)
- Use this PhET Wave on a String simulation
The Scale of the Universe
- This helps you to understand the sizes of different objects in the Universe: The Scale of the Universe